Wednesday, February 29, 2012
Monday, February 27, 2012
- 1 pound of red beans
- 1 med chopped (minced, or however you like) white onion
- 1 pound cooked Andoille sausage (you'll see me with smoked sausage because Andoille can only be found in one place here and at the time it was sold out. So in a pinch, yes, you can use smoked sausage)
- Tony Cachere's seasoning (or if you can't find it, use soul seasoning)
- 1 bay leaf
- Instant Brown Gravy (powdered. If you can't find the jar, you can use packets)
- Brown or White Rice
- First you need to rinse and throw out any funky looking beans. Pour in your crockpot. I use a 6 qt for this one, but it works fine on 4 qts as well.
- Add your chopped onion, sausage, bay leaf and season to your preference. If you aren't used to Tony's, then I'd suggest going light at first until the end when you can taste test to preference.
- Cover with water at least one inch. If you are going to be leaving them, I'd suggest adding to cover about 3 inches to ensure they don't dry out. You can always remove water if you need to later. However, you can't unburn your beans. Just sayin'.
- Turn on low for approximately 6 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Keep an eye on the water level, and add as necessary. Don't let it dry out!! Keep it to where there is plenty of room for the beans and sausage to flow freely because you are going to make a gravy with it next.
- About an hour before it is time, add the instant brown gravy. I don't have an exact number for you, but I would start with 6 tablespoons. Check after 15 minutes and add more brown gravy mix if it's not thickening. Remember, you need to have enough water in there for this!! If you need more water, add it. If you have too much water, remove some. If you want more gravy, add more water and more mix. Easy fix!
- Once your gravy is the consistency you want it, let it simmer for another 30-45 minutes or so.
- This is where I like to prepare my rice. This is a good opportunity to use brown rice because you really cannot tell the difference.
- Once it's ready, remove bay leaf and taste test to determine if you need more salt, pepper, or Tony's.
- Add rice to a bowl and top with red beans and rice. Sorry, I already mixed mine up!
Sunday, February 26, 2012
The word “liebster” is German for “dearest” and I’m so very excited that she even thought of me and my blog for it! Thank you so much! I’m so happy you enjoy what you see enough to consider me J
1) Jacinta @ My Beauty Boxes: She is a friend of mine who has a very unique blog that most of you will LOVE!! She has monthly subscriptions to “Beauty Boxes”. These are monthly beauty samples through different companies. They are awesome! I have two of them (Birchbox and Beauty Army). Jacinta is excellent about giving a non-biased review on the company and products, therefore letting us know which are worth it, or not! Love, love, love this! You definitely won’t be disappointed with this one!
Thursday, February 23, 2012
Wednesday, February 22, 2012
Monday, February 20, 2012
Here are the ingredients that you'll see me working with in these pics:
1) 5 medium potatoes (these are russet)
2) stick and a half of butter
3) 1/3 package of cream cheese (8 oz pkg)
4) 1/2-3/4 cup sour cream
5) 1/2 cup finely shredded mild cheddar
6) 1/3 cup parmesan
7) 1/2 tsp garlic powder (or more to taste)
8) salt and pepper to taste
Sunday, February 19, 2012
Friday, February 17, 2012
Here is the outside of the box it comes in every month...
Then on the inside is a card introducing you to the samples...
Silver and gold wrapping this month!
So my contents this month are as follows: LaFresh Eco-Beauty Acetone -Free Nail Polish Remover pads, Eye Rock eyeliner strips, BLK DNM perfume, Lifestyle Extra Nailfile, Six free downloads from Green River Ordinance (yes!), and Exude lip creme
I haven't been able to try everything yet to review, but I can already tell you my absolute favorite and what made this month worth it is the Exude lip creme. Amazing! It has a crystal applicator that dispenses how much you want. They have several cute shades. They also have lip glosses as well. The formula doesn't feel heavy on my lips (which is a big deal for my lipsticks) and I love the shimmer in them! Will definitely be purchasing this one!
I also receive another box every month called Beauty Army. The thing I like about that box is that you can pick the samples. The samples from them tend to be of more substantial size too. I'll probably periodically go over my boxes and review, but a friend of mine has a blog not only about these two boxes, but also other boxes as well. You can find her over at My Beauty Boxes. She goes over every box every month, so check her out!! We've also planned for her to come over here to review some of the products occasionally. So if you are into this kind of thing, stay tuned! It's great for us Moms that don't get to get out to try different beauty products as much thanks to hectic schedules! Or if you are stuck in the middle of no where like I happen to be, it's great for that too! ;)
Hope everyone has a great weekend!