Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Eat All The Cake!!!

I was really close to losing my sanity with this cake. I almost didn’t do it to begin with, due to some agreements being compromised without me knowing; however, I went forth with it. I’ve done cakes for the last few years, but this was the first one to feed a crowd of this many people. This would have served up to 100 people. It started insanely horrible. Just one miscalculation after another.  Long story short, after 71 cups of batter, 30-something cups of buttercream, 10 pounds of fondant (of which only maybe 1/8 was used), a couple crosspistols that ended up looking like…well…male genitalia (rendering  them useless), I finally came to this:



The good news: I did let my WOTY (Word Of The Year) come into play and let inspiration in. I opened myself to new tweaks on my white and chocolate cake recipes, and let me tell you what: BEST CAKES EVER! My husband brought a couple pieces of the chocolate home and the texture and flavor was so unbelievable. The chocolate was almost brownie rich and densely moist. We had already tried the vanilla (thanks to a domed top) and it had the same velvety smooth, moist texture with probably the best taste of a white cake I’ve ever had. Also, thanks to the failing of the making the appropriate amount of fondant to begin with, I ended up using the faux fondant technique to smooth the buttercream and for my first time, I don’t think it ended up too badly.
            All in all, it was what I would like to call a “learning experience”! 


6 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! I have never worked with fondant. How hard is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It definitely takes some working with and getting used to, but once you get into it, it's so fun! It's adult play-doh! :) I also use Marshmallow Fondant too, so it's as delicious as it is fun. I'll post later of some of my other cakes! You should try it, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, first let me say THANK YOU to you, your Husband and your family for being in the military. I pray for you all nightly. You are my heros!!!!Second, thank you for following my blog. I will be following yours too:) And thirdly that cake looks awesome!!! I'll be back:)
    ~Debra xxx
    Capers of the vintage vixens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Debra! :) The support is always appreciated!

      Delete
  4. That cake looks fantastic! Are those little balls just made of fondant? I also wanted to thank you and your family for the sacrifices you all make with your husband in the military. We are so thankful for each man and woman who serves to defend and protect our country and the freedom we enjoy every day! So please know that our prayers for safety and peace are being lifted up :) Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank ya'll! It means a lot to hear people who support and pray for the men and women in uniform and their families still.

      And yep, the balls are fondant brushed with gold pearl dust :)

      Delete

I love to hear from ya'll!! It's always nice to hear from friends, new and old. I love to chat back, and I usually like to through email, so make sure you are not a no-reply comment. It makes me sad :(