Thursday, February 2, 2012

Change is a-comin'!!


I came across something yesterday that I have never heard of and I fell in love with the idea of it all. It really spoke to me because it went right along with how I feel about a particular subject-- New Year’s Resolutions. I hate them. They are ridiculous. I know not one single person--not one-- that has ever followed through with one—including myself. It goes right along with everyone saying at the end of the year how crappy that year was and how the next year is the year for them to rise up, take control of their lives, better themselves…you’ve heard the story. Then what happens at the end of the year? They say the same thing all over again. You know why it frustrates me? It frustrates me, not because I’m mean and think you are weak and am disappointed in my friends. It frustrates me because it gets to the point where I feel at a loss, and I’m not even the one going through it! I just don’t understand. I stopped New Year’s Resolutions years and years ago. I decided to quit lying to myself. What’s the point of putting something off until a specific day? If you are serious about a life change, you will make it. If you have a reason to wait, you have a reason to quit. Don’t give it to yourself. And all the big talk is a nice boost to stay positive, but follow through and take action! Don’t let one failure set you back. That’s like when someone is on a diet and eats something “bad” early in the day and then uses that as an excuse for a free-for-all the rest of the day. Your mind is your biggest enemy.
            See how I get side tracked? I’m good at that. However, if you are reading this blog, this will be the last rant and rave you see on it. Here’s why: remember what I said about running across something yesterday? Well it can be found here. What it is called is Word of the Year. You pick a word for the year. It can be as off the wall as you want or as serious as you want. You can feel free to interpret as you want, but let that one word into your daily life. Really think about what that one word means to you. Incorporate it into your life and let it guide you. If things are spinning out of control, let it refocus you. Even if your word is silly, it can bring focus back to you. The lady that came up with it has some much better guidelines, but this is the interpretation that I’m running with to give Word of the Year meaning.

           
This is my word this year. This was the first thing I thought of. Maybe because the whole concept really inspired me in general, but also because it fits me well at this point in my life. I don’t mean I want to inspire everyone I come across. I mean, it would be nice to inspire one or two people (hey, everyone loves an ego boost every now and then!) ;) I mainly want to be inspired. I want to find inspiration in every day. Before I go to sleep every night, I want to be able to reflect and know that I have ALLOWED inspiration into my life that day. I’m not going to pretend I’m not an educated woman and have high-standards. That’s who I am. But that has its downfall. It may be my biggest weakness because I don’t think I let inspiration into my life and I think once I start this journey, I’m going to find that out.
            So what does this have to do with no more rants and raves? I’ve decided that I want this blog to be a sanctuary of positivity only. I think that would be the best milieu for my word. Don’t expect my honesty to not still be there, though.  I may voice advice or brief opinion, but I’m not going to voice hour long vents. I’m not saying I’ll stop that all-together, because I’m not looking to change me. I’m looking to add to me. So I’m moving my rants and raves over to another blog just for that. Frankly, I think it may be hilarious.
            What about you? How do you feel about the Word of the Year idea? Any takers? ;)

9 comments:

  1. Hi Erika -

    Umm... I LOVE this post! It's so thoughtful and honest -- and I love your style of writing.

    I think finding inspiration everyday is a great goal to have. I often lay my little head down at night with all of my worries and negative thoughts in my head. How nice it would be to reflect on more positive things! I'm excited to follow your journey.

    I'm so glad I popped over here -- I can't wait to read more from you :)

    Have a happy, inspirational Thursday <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I truly appreciate it. It's so often that we have friends and cohorts as long as we have the right things to say, and that's just not me. To have someone actually appreciate is nice ;)

      Delete
  2. newest follower from the blog hop!

    Keeping up with Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are SUCH an inspiration, Erika!! Loved reading this. This is such a wonderful way to live, I think. Especially because you'll be shining your light on others and they will definitely be affected positively because of YOU. How wonderful is that!

    Anywho, great post! I'm following you back :)

    <3-Cami from First Day of My Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Cami :) That's very sweet of you to say! I just thought this was such a wonderful idea and could make such much more of a powerful impact than a New Years Resolution. People fall off the bandwagon with those and that's it. With this, each day is a new day and a new opportunity. Thanks again and hope to talk with you soon :)

      Delete
  4. Wow what a great idea and such a lovely post, am going to check it out. The first word I thought of while reading this was beautiful, I don't mean looks, more the world and the people we are within.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good one, Anna. Let me know if you decide to do it :) I'd like to follow along with someone!

      Delete
  5. I decided to do a similar thing this year, but with two words (I blogged about it here: http://cominguprosemary.blogspot.com/2012/01/patience-persistence.html). I also told everyone who asked what my resolutions were this year that I'm resolving to get really fat and be really lazy ... since I never keep my resolutions anyway. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, what a good idea, Kate! Opposite resolutions! Why didn't I think of that?! :D

      Delete

I love to hear from ya'll!! It's always nice to hear from friends, new and old. I love to chat back, and I usually like to through email, so make sure you are not a no-reply comment. It makes me sad :(